Skip to main content
The Examen Prayer
      In this last article in our series of prayer we want to look at prayer in the form of an examination of conscience.
      St. Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), founder of the Company of Jesus (Jesuits), has much to say about prayer, praying with the Scriptures, and meditation (reflective or imaginative). Any of the books, CD’s, or DVD’s by Fr. Timothy M. Gallagher, OMV, does a marvelous job of explaining St. Ignatius’ teaching, methods, and “how-to” steps in today’s language and profusely illustrated with practical examples. Fr. Gallagher also has a book called, The Examen Prayer, Ignatian Wisdom for Our Lives Today.
      Catholic tradition has always recommended that we regularly examine our conscience to reflect prayerfully on our thoughts, words, deeds, and omissions in order to identify sins and faults needing correction. Certainly before the Sacrament of Penance (Confession), we always should examine our consciences, perhaps reviewing the 10 Commandments and Beatitudes, or using some other form of examination.
      Now a daily examination of conscience is also a very good practice for anyone seeking to come closer to the Lord and follow Jesus more closely. Many people do it just before bed, before praying their night prayers. You review your day, the events that happened, your actions, your neglect, any sins or faults, confess them to the Lord and ask for grace to follow Him more closely tomorrow. It really is all about love – loving God enough to want to see Him more closely, looking at our lives more to find His love there in the midst of it all, or to see where we are being pulled away from His love. So it is not just looking for sin – it is very much about discerning God’s movement in our loves, where His grace is present, where we are tempted, and where are struggles are – confessing to Him and asking His help, His grace.
      St. Ignatius recommends not only a general examination at night, but also a daily “particular” examination based on a habit we are trying to overcome, or a virtue we are trying to acquire. So if I have a problem with anger, then I might want to take a few moments, perhaps at Noon, to examine myself every day just about the anger. If I want to change myself in a particular area, develop a new habit, this is a very effective tool.
      For the general examen at night (which might be simplified and adapted for the particular examen at Noon), St. Ignatius gives directions in Rule 43 of his Spiritual Exercises, which Fr. Gallagher describes as follows:

      Initially I open myself to become aware of the love with which God looks upon me.
      Step one, I note the gifts that God’s love has given me this day, and I give thanks to God for them, and thank Him for preserving me this day.
      Step two, I ask God for an insight and a strength that will make this examen a work of grace, fruitful beyond my human capacity alone.
      Step three, with my God, I review the day. I look for the stirrings in my heart and the thoughts that God has given me this day. I look also for those that have not been of God. I review my choices in response to both, and throughout the day in general.
      Step four, I ask for the healing touch of the forgiving God who, with love and respect for me, removes my heart’s burdens. (Also: I confess my repentance to the Lord, I may make notes for what to bring to Confession later, and may note down resolutions to be more diligent in the future.)
      Step Five, I look to the following day and, with God, plan concretely how to live it in accord with God’s loving desire for my life.

            Aware of God’s presence with me in this exam, I may make a closing prayer (e.g., Glory be...) and give Him thanks.   
Dibby Green
Originally published in the print edition of the Mojave Desert News  dated January 30, 2020.
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church is located in California City, CA. Visit our website at ollcalcity.org.