Skip to main content

Baptism of the Lord


      This Sunday, January 10th, we celebrate the Solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord.

      St. John the Baptist tells us, “For this I came baptizing with water, that he [Jesus Christ] might be revealed to Israel.” John testifies, “I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God” (Jn 1:31-34). The evidence, the proof, John says, that Jesus is the Son of God is the Holy Spirit descending and remaining upon Jesus (Jn 1:32-33; cf., Mt3:16, Mk 1:10, Lk 3:22). This was the first remarkable sign when John baptized the Lord Jesus.

      There was a second remarkable sign: “A voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased’” (Mk 1:11; cf. Lk 3:22, Mt 3:17). This voice from heaven also came at Jesus’ transfiguration: “This is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased, listen to him” (Mt 17:5; cf. Mk 9:7) and, “This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!” (Lk9:35).

      God the Father’s voice alludes to at least three important Old Testament themes.

      One is the theme of “God’s servant” occurring throughout the OT but especially in the “Servant Songs” of the prophet Isaiah. The Hebrew word often translated as “servant” can be in the sense of one’s child, or a hired servant, or a slave. The Voice speaks of “my beloved Son,” “my Chosen,” “with whom I am well pleased,” and combined with the descent of the Holy Spirit –notice the Blessed Trinity here–reflects the first Servant Song of Isaiah 42:1, “Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights. I have put my Spirit upon him” (RSV-CE of the Hebrew); and “Jacob is my servant [“my child”]; I will help Him. Israel is my chosen; my soul accepts him. I put my Spirit upon him.” (Greek Septuagint). So the New Testament (Mt 12:18) and early Church, particularly in prayers and liturgy, refer to Jesus as the Servant of God, the Child of God.

      The second theme has to do with kingship by the parallel to Psalm 2:7, “You are my son, today I have begotten you.” The context of the Psalm is God’s anointing of his chosen king, fulfilling his promise to King David (2 Sam 7:12-16, especially v. 14, “I will be his father, and he shall be my son”). So the Father’s voice saying “This is my Son” is effectively saying, “I have set my king on Zion, my holy mountain” (Ps 2:6), and “Ask of me and I will make the nations your heritage” (Ps 2:8). In Jesus, the Kingdom of God is at hand.

      The third theme has to do with Isaac, the son of Abraham. Two weeks ago at Sunday Mass we read the Scriptures of God’s promise to Abraham of a son (Gen 15:1-6; 21:1-3) and of Abraham’s faith even when tested by God’s asking for the sacrifice of his son, Isaac (Heb 11:8, 11-12,17-19). Now when God tested Abraham’s faith, he referred to Isaac as “your only-begotten son Isaac, whom you love” (Gen 22:2). And after Abraham had passed the test, “the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven” not to lay a hand on the child, “your son, your only-begotten son” (Gen 22:11-12, repeated in v. 15-16). There are several parallels here with Abraham and Isaac, and God the Father and Jesus: the voice from heaven, the only-begotten son, the beloved son. It is as if God is saying at Jesus’ baptism: This is my Isaac. Implying that Jesus will be the obedient and faithful son, as was Isaac, and that Jesus will be called upon to be sacrificed, as was Isaac. But while Isaac and his father were relieved from having to make the physical sacrifice, Jesus and God the Father were not.

      So Jesus already knows he is the only begotten Son of God, the prophesied Servant of God, God’s appointed King, and he knows his baptism by St. John inaugurates his journey towards the Cross. It is God the Father’s voice from heaven that tells the rest of us these implications – implications because “God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son” (Jn 3:16), and because “No one has ever seen God; the only-begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known” (Jn 1:18). 

Dibby Green
Originally published in the print edition of the Mojave Desert News  dated January 7, 2021.
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church is located in California City, CA. Visit our website at ollcalcity.org.

References:

J. Jeremias, “παÃς θεοØ,” in Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT), Vol. V, G. Friedrich, Ed., G. W. Bromiley, Tr. (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1967, repr. 1999), p. 700 ff.

Leroy A. Huizenga, The New Isaac, Intertextuality in the Gospel of Matthew (Liden, Boston: Brill, 2012) p. 153-156, 174-175, 180.

Kraus, Hans-Joachim, Psalms 1-59, A Commentary (Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1988), p. 123-135 (Ps. 2).